Spaceship Model Build Day Two

Took a trip to Home Depot and got about $25 more, so my total cost is now $125.  This included some putty (not auto putty, but wall putty), a couple of thin plastic buckets, some more bolts, washers, and lock nuts, and some very thin wire. I decided to take the model apart again, so I could better attach the top and bottom plates to the main body.  Also, I realized I needed a way to hang the model, so I wanted to be able to run a couple of thin wires directly to the middle dowel rod.

Next, I started with the putty on the panels.

ImageImageImageImage

I set that mess aside to dry, and got to work on attaching the bottom engine panel to the main body.  I used a combination of glue and bolts with washers. Easier just to show:

ImageImageImage

 

And then I devised a way with a long bolt to attach the engine plate directly to the wooden dowel rod.

ImageImageImageImage

Here’s what I did with the wire:

ImageImage

I’ll put an identical one in the top half, and that way I can suspend it to shoot it without having it spin on a single wire. The wire is very small: 24 gauge. Hopefully it will be strong enough: this model is quite light. Previous models I’ve made have been mostly constructed of PVC, and they ended up weighing nearly 30 pounds.

Then, I started putting on body panels. Yesterday I realized I should have gotten some .5 mil styrene panels, but at HD I actually got something better: these super cheap plastic buckets. About $1.95:

Image

You can cut them apart with scissors.  With a ruler and scissors, I was able to cut out some uniform “body panels.” The hot glue gun made putting them on a snap:

ImageImage

Image

Because this was so easy, and was going to look good, I decided to backtrack and just clean off the mess I’d made with the other panels and the putty. It was never going to work, and would make for a ton of work.  So I cut up the other of the two buckets and went to work on the top half. After that I added lots of greebles. I used a combination of the hot glue gun and the model cement. I took both sections outside and gave them another coat of the gray primer.

At H.D. you can get little samples of paint, and they’ll even mix them for you, which is really cool. So I got a pure white and ordered a black mixed but stupidly forgot to go back and get it before I left. I got a cheap paint brush, and the idea is that with the black you make up a super diluted wash, mostly water with some black paint, and let that seep into the cracks and crevices. Then you take a brush and get some white paint on it, dry it off as much as possible, and then do a dry brush of white paint. My thought is that I’ll first give it a coat of white spray paint, then go for the black wash and the dry white. Hopefully this will give it nice detailed texture.

Just brought them back inside from the painting… looks good!

ImageImageImageImage

Now it’s time to put another hole in the top for the wire, mount the top section with glue, bolts and nuts, and then re-glue the equator and put it all together.

Advertisements

~ by claytonbrown2 on March 26, 2014.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: